Monday, July 15, 2013

I Took the Plunge

I finally took the plunge and bought some fabric for upcoming sewing projects. Until now, all I used were scraps of clothing and bedding that were going to be gotten rid of otherwise. Repurposing is great, but some times you just need to pick out a brand spanking new piece of cloth. I haven't been willing to spend money on fabric when my previous sewing projects were just for learning or practice. I didn't want to risk wasting the money if the project were to turn out to be a flop. I didn't know if I was capable of producing anything usable. But now, I think I might be there. To me, this is validation that I have finally learned to operate a sewing machine capably enough to construct a brand new garment that my kids can actually wear out in public.  I decided it was now or never, and mustered up the confidence to go pick something out for me to sew.
The project I decided to attempt was a pillowcase dress for my daughter.  I figured that was simple enough for me to manage and easygoing enough that my small errors wouldn't be a catastrophe. And let's not forgot, they are so, so cute and fashionable right now.
Browsing in the fabric store was delightful.  I spent an inordinate time in the store looking at and feeling the different beautiful fabrics before making my selection. My original thought was to use a denim or chambray type of fabric, and use navy blue ribbon. Then I thought perhaps a nice floral would do. And then I spotted some pretty seersuckers, and thought I could do something with that. I finally settled on a lovely piece of grey and white seersucker with extra thin stripes, to be paired with white ribbon for the shoulder straps. Then a light bulb went off in my head: I could do the dress for my daughter and use the same fabric to whip up some matching elastic-waist shorts for my boys to wear with white polos! What a cute family portrait that would make! I plan to get started ASAP. I'll let you know how it all turns out. I'm so excited about this project and really hope I don't mess it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment